This gravy is a twist on a traditional brown gravy, and can be served over Vegan Tofurkey or any number of dishes. It’s in the British or old American style, which is not to be confused with the travesty thickened gravies of the American south.
It has sliced mushrooms in it, which make for pretty presentation.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe
By November 26, 2010Published:
- Yield: 1 Cup (4 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
This gravy is a twist on a traditional brown gravy, in the British or old American style. It has sliced mushrooms in it, which make for pretty presentation.
- 1 T Earth Balance (EB)
- 1 shallot minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms (any variety) stems discarded, thinly sliced
- 1 T low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 c dry red wine
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T large-flake nutritional yeast (nutch)
- 2 t sage, thyme, rosemary, and tarragon mixed to taste
- Melt the EB in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and garlic and sauté until the shallot is translucent, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and tamari, turn the heat up the medium-high, and sauté until the liquid has evaporated somewhat and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add the wine and vinegar, turn the heat up to high, and boil, stirring frequently, until the liquid has reduced to half it original volume.
- Add 3/4 c water and the nutch and reduce to simmer for 3-5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Once it's reached your desired thickness, add the herbs and stir well.
- Depending on when you serve it, you may need to thin it out by adding water a tablespoon at a time.