Perfect for potluck, I admit that these sandwiches don’t go far in convincing others that vegan food is just the same as non-vegan food. In my defense, however, non-vegan food is pretty unadventurous.
After all, who wouldn’t want a watermelon radish sandwich?
When served at a recent Festivus Potluck, these were a surprise hit. Most people seemed skeptical to try this random pink vegan bread thing whatever, but the heat of the radishes and the cream cheese really won people over, so score one for team vegan.
Wondering what else to do with watermelon radishes?
Open-faced Watermelon Radish Sandwiches Recipe
By December 28, 2010Published:
- Yield: 8-10 Sandwiches (4-5 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
Perfect for potluck, I admit that these sandwiches don't go far in convincing others that vegan food is just the same as non-vegan …
- 6-8 watermelon radishes Chopped
- 1/4 c Earth Balance (EB) Softened
- salt To taste
- 1 tub Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- handful scallions Sliced
- loaf crusty bread Sourdough is nice
- Mix the watermelon radishes and butter, trying to keep a 2:1 ratio of radishes to butter. Salt to taste and set aside.
- Cut the bread to desired sizes. I used a boule, which my handy assistant Michaela (yay Festivus potluck!) sliced across and then cut each piece in half.
- Spread cream cheese liberally on each slice, sprinkle with scallions, and then spoon/spread watermelon radish butter over each slice.
- Course: Appetiser