Gruyère is a hard, salty French cheese. Vegan Gruyère is a soft, salty vegan cheese sauce that substitutes pretty well in dishes in which Gruyère would be melted. Props to Betty Rocker’s Vegan Gruyere Cheeze for inspiration for the recipe.
This cheese has some tang to it, and does well as an accent. I’ve used it in my sweet potato and kale gratin, and honestly need to get around to devising a French onion soup recipe.
Stay tuned. In the meanwhile, enjoy!
Vegan Gruyère Cheese Recipe
By July 5, 2011Published:
- Yield: 1 1/2 Cups
- Prep: 5 mins
Gruyère is a hard, salty French cheese. Vegan Gruyère is a soft, salty vegan cheese sauce that substitutes pretty well in dishes in …
- 1 c water
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T tahini
- 2 T large-flake nutritional yeast (nutch)
- 2 T rolled/quick oats
- 4 t cornstarch
- 2 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- a pinch salt
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients.
- Process until smooth.
- Warm in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat and continue to stir for about a minute.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge.