There are a few recipes out there for vegan crème fraîche. Some of them involve mixing other things (e.g. vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream), but I prefer foods made from scratch. This way, the ingredients are simpler and easier to control.
Non-vegan crème fraîche is fresh cream that’s slightly soured with buttermilk. Thus, for vegan sour cream, the idea is a slightly tangy cream.
If you’ve read around the blog, then it’s no secret that I use cashews for creaminess. It’s just so easy to soak them and then blend with a little water to whatever consistency that you like.
From there, you need any acid for a tang—lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or plain old white vinegar would do. I’ve used lemon juice, but feel free to experiment to suit your taste, style, and dish.
And if you’re planning to use this in a sweet dish, then add in u to 2 T of vegan powdered sugar. I’ve noted that below.
Now go forth and garnish! Especially on what’s coming to-morrow…
Vegan Crème Fraîche Recipe
By February 11, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1/2 Cup
- Prep: 5 mins
Now we're gonna top that with some crème fraîche.
- 1/2 c whole raw cashews
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1/4 c water
- ≤2 T vegan powdered sugar For a sweet version
- Just cover the cashews in water. Let sit for 30 minutes, or longer (up to overnight) if you have the time. They'll increase in volume as they soak.
- In a blender, combine the cashews, lemon juice, salt, and water. Blend, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- If the cream is too thick, then add more water half a tablespoon at a time whilst blending until your desired consistency is reached.
- If using for a sweet dish, then stir in up to 2 T vegan powdered sugar.
- Use immediately, or cover and store for up to a few days.