Here’s an easy vegan ricotta cheese version that can be used in vegan stuffed shells or vegan lasagna. It’s also excellent plopped on top of pizza.
It’s super lazy and comes together wicked fast. Try not to taste too much while you season, since it tends to disappear…
Tofu-pressing hint: Most of you may be used to rising your tofu block and then wrapping it in paper towels or a kitchen towel (we have a third kitchen towel specifically reserved for tofu pressing…), but here’s a hint: since you’re going to be crumbling the tofu anyway, you can wrap the block in a towel and then just twist and squeeze the towel to drain. If you have an awesome sous chef of a boyfriend, then he’ll like this lazy way a lot, I promise.
In short, there’s a lot about this recipe that’s lazy. Maybe someday I’ll find a way to make my own tofu ricotta from soy milk curds, but you came here for five-minute tofu ricotta, didn’t you?
Tofu Ricotta Cheese Recipe
By March 26, 2013Published:
- Yield: ~2 Cups
- Prep: 5 mins
Five-minute tofu ricotta; did you want anything more?
- 1 14-16 oz. block extra-firm tofu Drained, rinsed, and pressed/squeezed
- 1 shallot Minced
- 1 T herbs To taste (use whatever's on hand, or use a herb mix; triple the amount if using fresh herbs)
- 1/4 c large-flake nutritional yeast (nutch)
- 1 T apple cider vinegar Substitute lemon juice
- splash olive oil
- salt and pepper To taste
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Stir well, then taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Use immediately or cover and keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- For a really excellent ricotta, chop up a handful of black or kalamata olives and stir them in, or dice up some roasted red pepper and do the same.